Semantics of Set>>new in Squeak 3.9 -- To initialize or not to initialize?

John Pierce john at pierce.name
Tue Apr 4 18:47:00 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I am looking at the "new" class method in Squeak 3.9 (and maybe prior
to that). It appears that most classes implement "new" as:

  ^ self basicNew initialize

which is implemented in Behavior. But the "Set" class re-implements
"new" and does not invoke initialize.

Is this behavior intended? I had a few classes that derive from
Dictionary and used to work without calling initialize. Now I must
explicitly invoke the constructor.

Is this lack of congruency the desired behavior?

John

--
It's easy to have a complicated idea. It's very very hard to have a
simple idea. -- Carver Mead