[MC] Overrides and condenseChanges?

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Wed Apr 5 09:44:10 UTC 2006

Am 05.04.2006 um 10:45 schrieb Andreas Raab:

> Hi Guys -
>
> I'm planning to do a condenseChanges/condenseSources for the
> Croquet release and was wondering what this will do to MC overrides
> (IIRC, the previous versions are used from the changes file).

It will break in rather subtle ways that you'll discover only later -
we screwed up a few images before the fix.

> Can somebody give me a primer on what I need to keep in mind when I
> do this?

To make overrides survive the condensing, install this fix first:

	http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=2514

It will keep all versions of overridden methods. This is not optimal,
it would suffice to keep the most recent version for each overriding
package back to the latest non-overridden version. But there are not
too many overrides in the system so it doesn't matter much.

Very useful to see if the overrides are correct is this:

	http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=2727

It shows a method's category in its version history - without this
it's almost impossible to fiddle with overrides, like removing an
override without removing the original method.

To be sure everything went right, go over each and every MC package
and make sure it does not have unsuspected changes (select the
repository to compare to, press the "changes" button). If all
packages were clean before, this should be easy to automate (yet
another reason for having a clean base).

- Bert -