[MC] Overrides and condenseChanges?

Brent Pinkney brent.pinkney at aircom.co.za
Wed Apr 5 12:09:30 UTC 2006

Hi Adreas,

> Brent Pinkney wrote:
> > I have noticed condenceSources no longer works in 3.8
>
> Which means what exactly? Since I'll have to fix it any insights, clues,
> leads are both relevant and welcome.

I apologise for leaving you with just the bad news: I was dragged away at just
that time for other work stuff.

When I evaluate 'Smalltalk condenseSources' I get a DNU which can be traced to
the following line in #condenseSources:

My version of the method is 'yo 2/24/2005 18:00'. I have formatted the
following for clarity:

	newVersionString := FillInTheBlank
		request: 'Please designate the version for the new source code file...'
		initialAnswer: SourceFileVersionString.

SourceFileVersionString is a class variable which is nil in my image. If I
inspect SystemDictionary and set it to '3', then the method continues and
blows up at the lines:

	"Write all sources with fileIndex 1"
	f := FileStream newFileNamed: SmalltalkImage current sourcesName.
	f header; timeStamp.

The DNU occurs baucase f is nil. f is nil bacause

	SmalltalkImage current sourcesName

returns '/usr/lib/squeak/3.7-7/SqueakV3.sources' which does not exist.

I stopped at this point.

I am willing to assist in correcting this.

Brent