New SqueakMap

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Wed Apr 5 20:27:21 UTC 2006

Hi Yoshiki!

Yoshiki Ohshima <yoshiki at squeakland.org> wrote:
>   Stéphane,
>
> > >   It sounds like you took a path to use StandardFileStream
> > > explicitly...  To me, the "correct" way to fix is to send #binary and
> > > #text property.  It would be nice if we can get rid of
> > > StandardFileStream (or rename MultiByteFileStream to
> > > StandardFileStream)...
> >
> > Hi Yo
> > could we do that safely ;)?
>
>   Conceptually, it should be safe as MultiByteFileStream *can* behave
> identical to StandardFileStream.  It is just you need to tell it to do
> so, and not all the code around do so.
>
> -- Yoshiki

The decision to let default filestreams to be #ascii instead of #binary
- what are the arguments for that?
I mean, to me "the least surprising thing" would have been binary
instead of a default conversion. So in the same vein as CrLfFileStream
it could have been binary until explicitly asked to make conversions.

But perhaps I am in minority in this "default expectation".

regards, Göran