Semantics of Set>>new in Squeak 3.9 -- To initialize or not to

Wolfgang Helbig helbig at Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE
Wed Apr 5 22:58:12 UTC 2006

Hi List,

Nicolas observed:
>So there are two possible implementations of new:
>The one in Behavior for classes really declared as variableSubclass
> (self basicNew: n) initialize
>The one in other classes, faking an indexable behaviour, but implementing this
>behaviour indirectly by the mean of an indexable instance variable
> (self basicNew) initialize: n
Why do we need two implementations if one suffice?
If I am not mistaken, classes that are defined as variableSubclass in ST-80 are
defined as subclass in Squeak. Is this a tendency of modern Smalltalk systems.
And if so, why?

Regards,
Wolfgang
--