New SqueakMap

Martin Wirblat sql.mawi at t-link.de
Sat Apr 8 09:28:32 UTC 2006

Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
..
>   For a first time Squeaker, they would want to write out a string and
> read it back from a file (they wouldn't know the difference of
> ByteString and WideString, or even the line end problem).  Otherwise,
> there will be strings that *cannot* write out to a file.  For such
> user, putting UTF-8 conversion (no matter what platform he is on) by
> default would help.

Yoshiki,

I think the question is whether the first time Squeaker would want to
write out a String or something else or read something else in. The
general Squeak user doesn't want to write out anything and the
programmer is probably astonished about (and bitten by) the text
default, at least I was.

About another question of this thread: StandardFileStream is faster than
MultiByteFileStream for binary operations (25%-30% for a simple loop
with #next). So IMHO we should not "get rid of it".

Regards,
Martin