[ANN] New microworld + Extra chapters for the BotsInc environment

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Apr 8 21:34:32 UTC 2006

Hi all,
I'm currently migrating to the newest release of BotsInc environment
the second microworld that was initially planned to be described in
the book.

For now I published on my web site http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/botsinc/
download/ an old image that you can use with the current environment
(just drop the .image file on the squeak executable). Pay attention
that this is an old version (prior to the distribution 02-2005). This
old image that works on any platforms. I also released some advanced
drafts of chapters describing this microworld and also some really
fun chapters for BotsInc. I hope to find some money to ask a
professional to proofread them. For now they are given for free as
they are. I plan to give them for free in the future too.

Stef

PS: you can get more about BotsInc at:

http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/botsinc/

BotsInc is the environment of the book Squeak: Learn Programming with
Robots I wrote over the last 4 years. With Bots Inc you will learn
how to program robots in an interactive environment. Bots Inc
proposes three teaching approaches: direct command of robots,
scripting robots and programming robots. The book contains 24
chapters going step by step over topics with a lot of examples. Bots
Inc is fun but it is not a toy, it teaches you 100% real programming.
Bots Inc is built on top of the rich open-source multimedia Squeak
environment that you can also discover.

  "if you knew today was your last day on earth, what would you
  do different? ...  especially if,  by doing something different,
  today might not be your last day on earth" Calvin&Hobbes