A Possibly Interesting Link

Todd Blanchard tblanchard at mac.com
Sun Apr 9 05:32:26 UTC 2006

2GHz Intel MacBook Pro

Java:                   8903728 bytecodes/sec; 515517 sends/sec
Carbon VM:   265560165 bytecodes/sec; 8271046 sends/sec

I had trouble running these because:

Despite same image - meta key mapping was different.  Java VM often
would hang with print it menu open.  Hilite followed the mouse, but
mouseup was never registered and couldn't click.  Unable to copy text
using the Java VM.  Arrow keys didn't work.  Needed ctrl click to
bring up print it menu.  Meta key mapping conventions has long been a
problem across JVM's.

Carbon VM - mouse location was off by about an inch - pointer
appeared about 1 inch up and right of where actual click would
occur.  However, arrow keys worked great - used alt click to bring up
print it menu.

Unix VM - I got a blank white screen - cursor shapes changed as I
moused over things, but was unable to select text or see anything.

BTW, I also tried launching JWS directly - it brings up a dialog
where you enter the URL and then it is supposed to load the app.  It
failed to load too.  I find that par for the course for the Java
experience. :-/

I was blown away by how tiny it all is.

-Todd Blanchard