MacRoman, Latin1, squeak fonts, and non breaking spaces.

Peace Jerome peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 10 00:19:48 UTC 2006

Hi Bert and other concerned folk.

In reading Bert's post about fixing fonts to show the
invisible characters I was reminded of tripping over
the nonbreaking space (nbsp).

See mantis report:

http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=2446

I use a Mac and MacRoman defines nbsp as char 202. And
this can be gotten from Character nbsp.

In the default font in 7021 this appears as the
British pound sign. There are some squeak fonts
(atlantis for example) that will show a blank space
for that character.

Now Bert's fix uses char 160. Which is used by
browsers as nbsp but the Latin1 standard I was pointed
to has 160 in a range of undefined character values.

So the question is there is (at least one) bug in
this. What is the bug?

1) Should nbsp be define as the latin1 value?
2) Should squeak fonts have a way of saying what set
of characters they represent?
3) Should the available fonts in squeak be consistent
in choice of encodeing?
4) Should Character class be refactored to reflect the
 ability to choose different encodings?
5) Should Character class be debugged to reflect
Latin1 rather than MacRoman encodings? If so what do
you do about MacRoman?

I have enough knowledge to know these questions are
significant to the well being and maintenence of
squeak. I am out of my depth in trying to suggest
answers.

It would be good it someone who understands the issue
more deeply would formulate a mantis issue around it.

Yours in service, -- Jerome Peace