More on Dates

Francisco Garau francisco.garau at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 06:53:44 UTC 2006

Thanks for the suggestions on my previous post.

I am aware of the work done in Chalten by the Mercap guys. In fact, I read
it quite carefully and took several ideas from there. One of the things I
like most is the immutability of date objects.

I want that the printString of a date returns an equivalent objects. In
code:

    '30-Apr-06' actualDate printString
    =>  '2006 year april day30'

>From the suggestions received, the one using the comma seems the more
elegant (2006 year april, 30). But it requires parenthesis. Once a date
receives the #weekday message, it calculates the julian day number, and from
then on the weekday is cached. Now the printString is getting bigger.

    '30-Apr-06' actualDate weekday; printString
    => '2006 year april day30 sunday'

Now I have another method to generate these boring ones.

    TmActualDate class>>generateMethods
        #(sunday monday tuesday wednesday thursday friday saturday) collect:
[:each |
            self fakeCompile:
                (String streamContents:
                    [:stream |
                    stream
                        nextPutAll: each; cr; tab;
                        nextPutAll: '^ self' ] ) ]

- Francisco

PD: During Esug 2004, Dan Ingalls showed Smalltalk-72 and the original
Smalltalk-80 running inside Squeak. Does anybody know how to get those
images?