St-72 and St-80 [was: More on Dates]

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Tue Apr 11 16:18:44 UTC 2006

"Francisco Garau" <francisco.garau at gmail.com>  wrote...

>PD: During Esug 2004, Dan Ingalls showed Smalltalk-72 and the original Smalltalk-80 running inside Squeak. Does anybody know how to get those images?

Hmm.  Well, you could ask him ;-)

The Smalltalk-72 emulation is on SqueakMap, but I have just verified that it does not run in 3.9, and there's a fair chance it runs in nothing else since 3.4 in which it does run.  So I'll set about getting it to run again in 3.9.  I think it's a simple problem about how literals print and read.

The Smalltalk-80 was done as part of a port of Vassily Bykov's Hobbes.  I'll have to check with him about releasing it.  Also it has a few bugs on little-endian machines, but they should be easy to fix.

Finally I have been meaning to put out a Smalltalk-76 done in a similar manner.  This is the true root of Squeak.  I was going to do this for HOPL-III, but I'm afraid I ran out of time (sigh).

	- Dan