[ANN] 3.9a-7022

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Tue Apr 11 21:55:11 UTC 2006

Hi!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?st=E9phane_ducasse?= <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> Hi dan
>
> you mean squeakmap?
> Yes I would like that but I was confused recently with the exchange
> with goran.

Not sure which exchange that was. :)

> So if goran can tell what to do I will in the next version. I got
> some problems in the past (I forgot
> what goran explained to me ;)) and this was not clear to me if we
> should include the sm folder or not.
>
> Stef

Well, we are talking about two different aspects:

a) That the latest image should be updated with the latest SM code.
b) That the released image should (or should not) have a recent map
inside it.

Regarding a) - that boils down to doing the "same thing" as the load
script does (the "SqueakMap" package on SM is a .st script):
	http://map.squeak.org/accountbyid/9bdedc18-1525-44a6-9b79-db5d4a87f6f8/
files/SqueakMap6.st
Essentially it upgrades the SMBase and SMLoader packages using
Monticello and clears the map instance in the image *without* losing the
information about what packages are installed in the image.

I will sit down and compress that script into a specific script for 3.9.

For b) there are two ways, either we distribute with a "recent" map
inside the image or with no map at all inside the image. Even if we
distribute the image with a map in the image it will be old very
quickly. Today the SqueakMap PackageLoader asks if it should update the
map if it is more than 10 days old. Personally I think that we should
distribute the "normal" images with a "purged" map. A purged map means a
map that is "empty" but still has the installation registry in it with
info about installed packages.

If we decide to distribute a prepopulated client side cache then we
should probably do that on the "side". Simply a zipped up "sm" dir to
drop into the dir where people have their images.

Mmmm, ok, so what did I say:

1. I will post a script that properly updates SM in 3.9. You can then
apply it in some suitable fashion.

2. We should purge the map from the image before distributing. This is
done with "SMSqueakMap default purge". You get it back from disk with
"SMSqueakMap default reload".

regards, Göran