The Timing of Time

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 07:37:53 UTC 2006

On Apr 13, 2006, at 12:08 AM, goran at krampe.se wrote:

> PS. But I do think the official Squeak should make a choice - there
> should be a "Squeak standard". And of course, we did that pretty
> recently - Chronology. Would be interesting to hear more about
> pros/cons. :)

What I can contribute here is that the performance benefits are more
than just theoretical - the poor performance of the Chronology
package has been responsible for a significant percentage of the
bottlenecks in our production code recently.  More than once, our
profiling has led us to some part of Chronology that was an order of
magnitude or two slower than it needed to be.  The most recent
example of a couple of days ago was DateAndTime>>hash - try sticking
a few thousand dates into a Set and you'll see what I mean.  That can
be sped up, in some cases, by a simple optimization in
DateAndTime>>asUTC:

asUTC
	^ offset isZero
		ifTrue: [self]