The Timing of Time

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Thu Apr 13 09:47:56 UTC 2006

Am 13.04.2006 um 11:15 schrieb Andreas Raab:

> Avi Bryant wrote:
>> What I can contribute here is that the performance benefits are
>> more than just theoretical - the poor performance of the
>> Chronology package has been responsible for a significant
>> percentage of the bottlenecks in our production code recently.
>
> Heh. "me too". In my case it was printing. Would be interesting to
> see how long a #printString takes for either one.

For me, it was the space inefficiency. I ran into this when trying to
put many monticello version infos into a database. MC stores a Date
and a Time separately, for historic reasons. Dates used to be just a
simple offset in days. Nowadays, they have a start, a timezone
offset, and a duration, each of which is a full object, and all are
in nanosecond precision. So we have 4 times as many objects, taking
like 10 times the space necessary.

- Bert -