Frozen Image

Benjamin Schroeder benschroeder at acm.org
Fri Apr 14 12:08:36 UTC 2006

On Apr 14, 2006, at 6:31 AM, Zulq Alam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Maybe you can help me, I have an image that is stuck in some form
> of infinite loop.
>
> I can interrupt the loop using Alt+. and a debugger appears but the
> loop seems to resume again.
>
> Any ideas what's going on?
>
> Or failing that, what's the best way of recovering code from
> a .changes file or an external .image file?

Hi Zulq,

I'm not sure from your message if this has happened with a running
image, or if it happens every time you start up your image. Here's
some advice in case it's the former, and your image will still start
up OK.

Go to the World menu (click on the background) and choose
"changes...". This will bring up a menu with options for browsing the
changes file. The "recently logged changes" option will let you look
at all the changes you had made since the last save, and optionally
load selected ones into your image.

Note that there are "do its" mixed in with the method changes. Some
of these are from code you executed in a workspace or inspector; some
of them are from changing class definitions or removing methods. You
can select which ones of these to file in as well (obviously, the
class-change and method-removal ones are usually important).

There may be a way to keep from having to shut down your image - when
I have had that situation, sometimes I have been lucky enough to get
the thing interacting again by sending multiple interrupts, or just
waiting out a long series of debugger windows that appeared. Of
course I've also had times when I had to force-quit.

Hope this helps - good luck.

Benjamin Schroeder