The Timing of Time

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Apr 14 12:28:36 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 11:31:12AM +0100, Francisco Garau wrote:

> That is my poor understanding of time-zones and the reason why I want to
> play with the Chronos package.

Francisco,

If you want to explore time zones and their interaction with Chronology
in Squeak, you may want to also look at TimeZoneDatabase (Squeak Map).
This will not provide the range of functionality addressed by Chronos,
and it certainly will not help figure out calendar dates and business
calendars.  But you can use it to explore time zone maps and understand
how time zones affect time and duration in Squeak.

BTW, Alan's web site for Chronos provides some excellent documentation
and references to web sites that explain how time zones and time
measurement systems work. It sounds like it aught to be boring,
but it's actually quite interesting if you have a taste for arcane
technology and socio-political trivia.

Dave