"Don't make me think"...

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Tue Apr 18 22:20:23 UTC 2006

Hi!

Colin Putney <cputney at wiresong.ca> wrote:
> On Apr 18, 2006, at 3:37 PM, goran at krampe.se wrote:
> > Let me repeat:
> >
> > 1. For the above issue - press alt-. and then instead execute
> > "SMSqueakMap bootStrap" which will force an upgrade of SM in the
> > image.
> > No need to nuke the sm dir.
> >
> > 2. Even if you feel tempted to delete the whole "sm" dir, it is
> > sufficient to delete the .sgz files. That way you don't needlessly
> > throw
> > away the package cache. :)
>
> Hi Göran,
>
> I'm not sure I follow. Is the above a recipe for getting SM to work
> in Squeak 3.7?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Colin

No, unfortunately for the moment - SM is 3.8+ only. I don't intend for
it to stay that, but that is the way things are at the moment. A "quick"
way to get it working for 3.7 and lower is to adopt Andreas XML
serialization code or some other serialization mechanism that works for
3.5(?) - 3.9.

Hmmm, right - it may have sounded like it would work for 3.7... sorry,
didn't mean that - my fault. :)

But the dialog that Adrien attached is actually not what happens in 3.7
- it is what happens in a non upgraded 3.8+ image I think.

A similar dialog appears in 3.7  - but talking about Multi byte stuff.

regards, Göran

PS. Just about to upgrade SM a bit more to fix several issues.