The Timing of Time

hernan.wilkinson at mercapsoftware.com hernan.wilkinson at mercapsoftware.com
Tue Apr 18 22:24:10 UTC 2006

I just wanted to say that with Chalten we already have a Gregorian Calendar
implementation, with very interesting features (imho) as you can see from the
examples.
We also have some agenda to improve it, mainly becuase Maxi Taborda (he ported
Chalten from VisualAge 6.02 to VA Smalltalk 7.0, VisualWorks and Squeak) is
going to use it for his masters thesis. So you can expect many improvements on
Chalten during this year. This improvements includes:
1) Performance improvements (he did not release some of the performance code we
already have because of lack of time)
2) Time zone support
3) Other calendars support
4) Translation between time points of different calendars

All this work will be done keeping what I think makes Chalten a good choice:
1) Good abstractions
2) Easy of use (i.e.: sentences like "January second, 2006", etc)
3) Use of the measure model

Anyway, I don't want to sound as a "comercial" person, but we are going to
improve Chalten in many ways and it is going to be ports on Squeak, VisualAge,
VisualWorks, GemStone and Dolphin....

Hernan