Problems compiling vm on Ubuntu AMD64

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at cableone.net
Wed Apr 19 19:10:53 UTC 2006

Damien Cassou wrote:
> Jimmie Houchin a écrit :
>> I've been attempting to compile a svn co of the Squeak VM on Ubuntu
>> Dapper Drake AMD64.
>
> Did you read that page:
>
> http://www.squeakvm.org/squeak64/

Yes, many times. And I've also successfully compiled based on those
instruction back in 2004. But I was also running Gentoo back then.

Alas, I'm not a C programmer.
Do you have a 32bit VM for Dapper? With OSProcess plugin built?

I know there has been talk about Squeak for Dapper MOTU. I would like to
encourage who ever does such to please build the OSProcess plugin for
inclusion.

I might have to do a 32bit install on a separate partition so that I can
have a pure 32bit build environment. That seems to be the root of my
problems. Non-64bit clean code with a non-32bit build environment.

Anyway, I would love to see Ubuntu with excellent Squeak support. Both
Desktop and server. The server VM wouldn't need all the sound and such
plugins. I say that naively. My server doesn't have sound. :)

I think Ubuntu has excellent potential to be an everybody Linux. Which
is why I use it. Gentoo was nice but I couldn't recommend it to everybody.

Thanks for responding to my email.

Jimmie