[ann][vm][unix] 3.9-4

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Apr 20 01:19:57 UTC 2006

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 04:08:36PM -0700, Ian Piumarta wrote:
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> > you seemed to drop support for sound on solaris. Lack of time
> > on your part
>
> It's lack of a Solaris machine to compile it on, otherwise your
> changes would have made it into this release.  They'll be in the next
> for sure.  (The main reason for this release was Croquet compatibility.)
>
> > and/or lack of interest on part of the squeak community?
>
> I think there are a few people running Squeak on Solaris.  Two others
> come to mind immediately.

Speaking of Solaris, I'm interested to know if it support pthreads, and
if it is safe to put pthreads dependencies into the OSProcessPlugin. The
reason for asking is that I believe that it is necessary to have some
pthreads-aware logic in OSPP in order for it to behave properly in
a multithreaded VM (especially OS X). However, I don't know if generic
Unix platforms support pthreads consistently, and I'm reluctant to put
this into OSPP if it might break on other platforms such as Solaris.

I do have a pthread-aware version of OSPP (available on SqueakSource
as VMConstruction-Plugins-OSProcessPlugin-dtl.3.mcz) but I don't want
to release it until I know that it's safe for other platforms, and
that it actually works as intended for OS X.

Thanks,

Dave