Squeak Awk Rumor

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Thu Apr 20 17:04:36 UTC 2006

 > It is rumored Squeak Awk will be used to run the robots in the Sun
 > SPOT project (NASA is going to land the robots on the sun to count the
 > spots?)... Oh, BTW, that Squeak Awk is named Squawk and it's a VM.

	Squawk has nothing to do with awk. It's Java implemented in Java,
inspired by Squeak's reflective VM approach. Project Sun SPOT ("Small
Programmable Object Technology") is a wireless sensor network platform,
featuring devices which run Squawk; see [1]. If you're in the San
Francisco Bay Area, you can see the stuff at this weekend's Maker Faire[2].

	I have no affiliation with Sun, but I used to work with a few of the
people who now work on this (none of the above information comes from
them :).

-C

[1] http://www.sunspotworld.com
[2] http://makezine.com/faire