new linux install confused!

ron macroron at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 17:35:17 UTC 2006

Hello,

I'm new to linux, programming, and computers. I have tried to download
and install the Squeak 3.8 rpm packages from this page:

Unix Squeak:

http://squeakvm.org/unix/

These are the Packages:

Squeak-vm-3.8a-1.i386.rpm

Squeak-image-3.8g-6548.noarch.rpm

Squeak-sources-3-1.noarch.rpm

But I keep getting this message:

[root at corefive ron]# squeak

Could not open the Squeak image file `squeak.image'.

There are three ways to open a Squeak image file.  You can:
  1. Put copies of the default image and changes files in this directory.
  2. Put the name of the image file on the command line when you
     run squeak (use the `-help' option for more information).
  3. Set the environment variable SQUEAK_IMAGE to the name of the image
     that you want to use by default.

For more information, type: `man squeak' (without the quote characters).

[root at corefive ron]#

I'm confused on what to do next. Here are how the files look after
downloading and installing the three packages:

[root at corefive ron]# locate squeak

/home/ron/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/squeak.desktop
/home/ron/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/squeak[2].desktop
/home/ron/Desktop/squeak
/usr/bin/inisqueak
/usr/bin/squeak
/usr/doc/squeak
/usr/doc/squeak/COPYING.gz
/usr/doc/squeak/COPYRIGHT.gz
/usr/doc/squeak/LICENSE.gz
/usr/doc/squeak/README.Contributing.gz
/usr/doc/squeak/README.Keyboard.gz
/usr/doc/squeak/README.Sound.gz
/usr/lib/squeak
/usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1
/usr/lib/squeak/Squeak3.8g-6548.changes.gz
/usr/lib/squeak/Squeak3.8g-6548.image.gz
/usr/lib/squeak/SqueakV3.sources
/usr/lib/squeak/inisqueak
/usr/lib/squeak/npsqueakregister
/usr/lib/squeak/npsqueakrun
/usr/lib/squeak/squeak.changes.gz
/usr/lib/squeak/squeak.image.gz
/usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/Squeak3D
/usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/SqueakFFIPrims
/usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/npsqueak.so
/usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/squeak
/usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/vm-display-X11
/usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/vm-display-fbdev
/usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/vm-display-null
/usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/vm-sound-OSS
/usr/lib/squeak/3.8a-1/vm-sound-null
/usr/local/doc/squeak
/usr/local/doc/squeak/COPYING
/usr/local/doc/squeak/COPYING.gz
/usr/local/doc/squeak/COPYRIGHT.gz
/usr/local/doc/squeak/LICENSE.gz
/usr/local/doc/squeak/README.Contributing.gz
/usr/local/doc/squeak/README.Keyboard.gz
/usr/local/doc/squeak/README.Sound.gz
/usr/local/man/man1/inisqueak.1
/usr/local/man/man1/squeak.1
/usr/man/man1/inisqueak.1.gz
/usr/man/man1/squeak.1.gz
/usr/share/pixmaps/gnome-squeak.png
/var/cache/man/local/cat1/squeak.1.bz2

[root at corefive ron]#

I haven't modified anything. Can someone help me?

Thank you,

-ron-