Looking for good souls

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Sat Apr 22 12:16:44 UTC 2006

Hello Attis,

NA> Shyness, I think that's quite a barrier to cross when you're new to a
NA> community. And when I see people speaking about Croquet and HOM (none of

no doubt and that's why we have to do something about it.

NA> discouraged to ask questions like "how do I create a simple input window?"

FillInTheBlankMorph request: 'How to create a simple input window'
initialAnswer: 'Try FillInTheBlankMorph's class side messages'
:-))

NA> Exactly that's what I think. And I think that is why there aren't enough
NA> good tutorials out there.

There are many (won't judge them for good or bad). I had fun with "Why
morpic is way cool" from the swiki http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak
though outdated.

There you'll find something named "Practical wizardry". I admit I
started with the bank account tutorial. Also try "Terse Guide to
Squeak" and for some UI basics look at the pluggable morphs demo.

And then there's the free books collected by Stef.

There really is a wealth of information, also on which packages to
install. Just a bit widespread. Dunno what you found yourself already,
so I'll keep this short but keep asking!

One thing about morpic is you have to change your mindset about user
interface programming but there also is Wx widgets which is closer to
conventional Windows UI. Haven't tried yet.

Cheers

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net