new linux install confused!

ron macroron at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 12:19:55 UTC 2006

On 22 avr. 06, at 03:21, David T. Lewis wrote:

> Hi Ron,
>
> I'm not quite sure what the problem is, but the first and most
> important
> thing I can tell you is that you should not run things like this
> (Squeak
> or anything else) from the "root" user account. If you have not
> already
> done so, set yourself up with a user account (user ID "ron" or
> whatever),
> and use that for everything except the few tasks that truly require
> root
> access. Linux (or any unix system) will protect you from a lot of
> problems
> if you take a few minutes to do this, and most things will work
> just fine
> once you are running them from a regular user account.
>
> Once you have done that, put the squeak image and changes files in
> your
> own directory, and do something more or less like this:
>
>    $ squeak mysqueakimage
>
> The actual error message you are getting means that Squeak cannot
> locate
> its image and changes files (these might be, for example,
> "squeak.image"
> and "squeak.changes", located in your current working directory).
> Usually
> this just means that you need to tell it the name of the image file
> ("mysqueakimage.image" or whatever). The default is for Squeak to look
> for an image file called "squeak.image" along with a matching
> "squeak.changes"
> file in your current working directory (whatever directory you are
> in when
> you run the "squeak" command).
>
> Once more for emphasis: Do *not* run Squeak or anything else from your
> root account. Set up a user account called e.g. "ron" and use it for
> everything that does not specifically require root access.
>
> HTH,
>
> Dave

Success,

I followed the directions in section: "2.2. Manual Installation" on this page :

http://squeakvm.org/unix/download.html

Here is how my files are set up:

/home/ron/bin/squeak (a shell script) :

#!/bin/sh
SQUEAK_PLUGINS=$HOME/lib/squeak/squeak-3.9-4
export SQUEAK_PLUGINS
exec $SQUEAK_PLUGINS/squeak

home/ron/lib/squeak (the sources file) :

SqueakV3.sources

/home/ron/lib/squeak/squeak-3.9-4 (the plugins including the vm) :

B3DAcceleratorPlugin  UnixOSProcessPlugin  vm-sound-null
npsqueak.so           vm-display-fbdev     vm-sound-OSS
PseudoTTYPlugin       vm-display-null      XDisplayControlPlugin
squeak                vm-display-X11

/home/ron/squeak (the changes, image files, and a symbolic link to
SqueakV3.sources) :

package-cache  squeak.changes  SqueakDebug.log  squeak.image
SqueakV3.sources (a symbolic link that points to
home/ron/lib/squeak/SqueakV3.sources)

I had to set my work path In the KDE Menu Editor  to:

/home/ron/squeak

in order to run squeak.

I would like to be able to run squeak from the command line. But it
only works if I am in:

/home/ron/squeak

If any one has any suggestions or improvments I would appreciate it.

Linux 2.6.16-1.2096_FC5smp

i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

fedora core 5

-ron-