new linux install confused!

ron macroron at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 14:05:43 UTC 2006

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 14:34:58 +0200, Damien Cassou wrote:

> It seems all is configured properly.
> Things you can do if you only want
> to work on a single image (we often have
> different images for different
> purposes: development, testing new
> images...) is to write a simple
> script like this one:
>
> /home/ron/bin/squeak.sh:
>
> #! /bin/sh
> cd ~/squeak
> exec squeak squeak.image
>
> chmod +x /home/ron/bin/squeak.sh
>
> Now, you just have to type 'squeak.sh'
> where you want and squeak will be
> launched.
>
> Another thing you can do is to link
> .image extension to squeak in you
> favorite file system navigator. Then you
> will be able to just click on
> an image and squeak will be launched.
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> ---

Thank You,

Damien, everyone,

This shell script works for me in:

  /home/ron/bin/

#!/bin/sh
cd $HOME/squeak
SQUEAK_PLUGINS=$HOME/lib/squeak/squeak-3.9-4
export SQUEAK_PLUGINS
exec $SQUEAK_PLUGINS/squeak squeak.image

I was surprised to see a blank initial screen on first boot. I did an
update and noticed alot of packages were downloaded. Can you suggest a
tutorial or demos that give an overview of squeak and explain all the
new terms I'm already reading about on this list.

-ron-