Looking for good souls

francois schnell francois.schnell at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 15:49:53 UTC 2006

On 22/04/06, stéphane ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:

> Ok so let's find a good name.

my 2 cents:

I personally think it should emphasize on the idea of *learning* (I think
Squeak needs that: more programmers/teachers/students/people  *learning* to
program in Squeak and do useful things with it)

squeakers

It looks like a club to me not sure if it's about learning.

squeak-starter

No strong  opinion

squeak-chat

Don't like it and doesn't look like *learning* but eventually 'gossiping',
maybe in a squeak manner  ;)

squeak-users (i'm afraid that people think about using = etoy but why
> not).

I tend to like it but maybe 'Squeakers' are 'above' *using* (the users of) a
software. To me Squeak seems more about 'building'/learning/programing  than
'using'.

Personally I quiet like the "tutor" prefix (or any prefix which focus on
*learning* but not on belonging to any kind of select club or 'sect'). As I
mentioned before the list 'Python-Tutors' works well and have been very
helpful for me and it begins with a statement which don't scare beginners :
"Tutor -- Discussion for learning programming with Python".

Anyway I think the idea is that it should be clear for newcomers that they
are welcome to ask even 'silly'/obvious/abc question in a list which is
designed for that (meaning few threads about hacking the VM or Bug Reports)

Whatever the name of the list I think it's a great initiative, thanks :)

francois