some news

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ext.cri74.org
Sat Apr 22 23:01:18 UTC 2006

Alan Kay a écrit :
> Hi --
>
> I would gently suggest you are missing the points here.

I would rather say we have a different perception on what can be the
priority for kids given their reality of life.
Even if it can be considered short sight, it can be, in some situation,
more valuable to be practical.

Squeak/Smalltalk is from my own experience in development language (from
c++ to Java and throught Python) the best plateform around there to
write high level contents for education. You did an extraordinary work
developping Squeak, but it is sad you stopped at Etoys, because for me
Etoys is only the glue for differents object component within Squeak.

Now, with what you did in Squeak/Etoys, more high level content can be
developped and hooked together in Squeak, for example as dynamic
geometry
(http://www.univ-savoie.fr/Portail/Groupes/fernandes/demos/4-mosaique/index.html)

This is a direction I found interesting intellectually and also very
effective to bring a good learning environment for kids.

Hilaire