Looking for good souls

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Sun Apr 23 08:43:05 UTC 2006

  Hello,

  I guess trying a new list for a bit different audience is ok.  I'll
subscribe and try to help there.  I would imagine that the mailing
list may not get too much traffic, as Squeak-announce was somewhat
similar in a sense.  (But we'll see.)

  I, too, think one list for all is ideal (I might agree though that
some people can be intimidating on this list^^;).

  Don't forget about the Pygmalion Effect.  People tend to act how
they are supposed to act.  If we have two lists, and one is labelled
as the "friendlier" list, that could be interpreted as a message
saying that another list is "unfriendly", and it is ok to act
unfriendlier there.  This is not what we want.

  I don't see it a problem that the same questions coming up to the
list over and over again.  Any question is the same, and human being
is the best filter and the best mentor.  If someone wants to ask a
question, he should ask it, instead of looking for the right keyword
to search the wiki database.

  Apart from the intimidation, the barrier to any mailing list is the
burden to go through the registration process...  Is it reasonable to
set up the mailing list which is moderated by bunch of people over
different timezone, and accept posts from non-members?

-- Yoshiki