Re-2: Looking for good souls

Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Sun Apr 23 09:53:56 UTC 2006

>> stephane ducasse wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I would like to have a list for newbies: squeak-starters
>>> because (I see it now with my students) newbies are really afraid to post,
>>> experience with python mailing-list doing the same are a success so we
>>> should learn.
>>>
>>> Now I would like to have a couple of good souls to help me answering the
>>> questions
>>> on this squeak-starters mailing-list.
>>>
>>> So if we are 4 or 5 we win!
>>
>> I don't consider myself a newbie as I've been playing with Squeak for
>> years and have not been shy about displaying my ignorance on this list
>> for all to see. :)
>>
>> I'm not sure we need a new list.
>> But if we do keep this list as the one list for all, we do need to make
>> the Subscription page better.
>>
>> It says at the top:
>> """
>> This is the main Squeak developers' list, which isn't restricted to any
>> particular Squeak topic. It is the newest incarnation of the list
>> formerly known as squeak at uiuc.edu. It has been given the more specific
>> name "squeak-dev" to distinguish it from other Squeak lists that are
>> emerging.
>> """
>>

>> I think that it hasn't been the squeak at uiuc.edu for so long that we
>> should drop that comment. It isn't meaningful to most people who
>> subscribe today.
>>
>> In this section we should make it explicitly clear that the list is for
>> everyone. Maybe something like:
>>
>> """
>> This mailing list is a general discussion list for Squeak.
>> Squeak is a multi-faceted environment providing a variety of
>> applications, a development environment and the Smalltalk programming
>> language.
>>
>> This list is for those who are interested in any area of Squeak.
>> Whether you are new to Squeak or are a long-time veteran, please feel
>> free to participate in friendly, productive and sometimes excited
>> discussion. Don't be shy, jump on in, were here to help.
>>
>> For more information about Squeak go to: http://www.squeak.org
>>
>> To subscribe, unsubscribe, view archives or for posting information see
>> below.
>>
>> Enjoy!  Squeak makes computing fun!
>> """
>>

>> Okay maybe I went overboard. :)
>>
>> But hey, hammer this out on the list and lets provide a better front to
>> this mailing list. And then if it proves at some point to have a
>> squeak-users (or somesuch) list, then we can do that.
>>

>> Jimmie

Helping newbies is user groups task (ours do , in Spanish ).

I also think Divide and Conquer seems a tactic of one Squeak hater and not
from Steff !!.

Lot of people do help now , for newbies and not so.

If each of us answer quick and to point to questions (as usually happen), no
need of new list.

Swiki improve slowly, and new sites only add fragmentation and no help.

And having newbies here maybe have the effect of masters nod loose
perpective.

Edgar