[Squeakland] Looking for good souls

Markus Gaelli gaelli at emergent.de
Sun Apr 23 22:02:07 UTC 2006

Hi Stef,

The squeakland website and image (both the image and the image)
currently does not fit for tool building smalltalk learners. This is
correct.
Likewise the geeky and technical image of squeak-dev does not fit for
education of object oriented programmers nubs.

Your tutorial in squeak 3.8 image helps here. Why should this not be
part of the squeakland-image?
Why shouldn't we have a button in the squeakland image which beams
the newbie over the fence into a good smalltalk teaching environment?

What I like about the french list, is that this distinction is not so
serious.

I'd like to have one english speaking list about the use of Squeak
for and in education, and this would include both etoys and smalltalk.
And I suggested to use squeakland for this, as there are already lots
of good souls there, who do focus on education.
Actually I think that open minded future software engineers can learn
a lot from the etoys paradigm.

I also made the experience that people learn Smalltalk much faster,
when they have been introduced to EToys first.

Finally I have the feeling that the lack of technical questions/
discussions about Smalltalk on squeakland hindered the development of
EToys.

Cheers,

Markus