unix vm 3.9-5 libuuid.so.1 error

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at cableone.net
Mon Apr 24 02:33:10 UTC 2006

I just downloaded the latest unix vm 3.9-5   i686

I can't get it to run. I get this error.

squeak: error while loading shared libraries: libuuid.so.1: cannot open

I have /lib/libuuid.so.1  on my machine.

This is on Ubuntu Dapper AMD64

I tried running squeak in the local directory which was created when
unzipping the download. And also from the INSTALLed squeak.

I also tried copying the lib to both the local directory and also the
/usr/local/lib/... directory.

My attempts were simply
~$ ./squeak my.image    #the local vm
~$ squeak my.image      #the INSTALLed vm

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or if there is something
wrong in my setup, or what.

Any help getting this going greatly appreciated.

Jimmie