Looking for good souls

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 05:56:54 UTC 2006

On 4/22/06, stéphane ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:

> >       "squeak-newbies"
> >
> > Can't get much more inviting than that, can it?

Personally, I would like to mimick patterns available in the open
source community as much as possible. Which would be 'squeak-users'.
Using Squeak as opposed to developing Squeak itself, which would then
become the primary focus of the squeak-dev list.

Two reasons against squeak-newbies: it smells of "Xxx for Dummies",
which is denigrating, and it may prevent advanced *users* of Squeak
from subscribing because they clearly are not a part of the indicated
target group.

Personally, I don't think there's a need for two lists. People with
stupid questions will be flamed in either case (a stupid question does
exist - it is when the poster clearly has not even done the most basic
bit of research to solve the question by himself), and people with
entry-level questions have never been flamed on squeak-dev, AFAICT.

Summarizing my position:
- I am weakly not in favor of splitting squeak-dev;
- If that has to happen, I am strongly against calling it squeak-newbies.