unix 3.9-6

Matej Kosik kosik at fiit.stuba.sk
Tue Apr 25 17:12:23 UTC 2006

Ian Piumarta wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Cesare Marilungo's slowness with Balloon3D turned out to be a missing
> Squeak3D (B3DEnginePlugin).  It's part of the Balloon3D package  rather
> than VMM.  I've loaded B3D, rerun VMM, rebuilt everything from  scratch
> and called it 3.9-6 (it's in the usual place).  Relative to  3.9-4:
>
> - CPU usage when idle should no longer linger at 100%
> - Squeak3D plugin is bundled
> - B3D hardware acceleration has been verified working
> - UUIDPlugin is external and the VM should run even if libuuid.so is
> unwilling.
>
> Sorry about the hiccups.
>
> Have fun,
> Ian

Hi,

I have tried to install the new VM from source code
(http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-3.9-7.src.tar.gz)
There were no problems.

I have tried also the other components.

- http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/squeak-sources_3_all.deb
Now it is useless, since other respective *.deb files are missing.

When I downloaded and INSTALLed these:
- http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-3.sources.tar.gz
- http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-3.9a-7024.image.tar.gz
even long lost `inisqueak' script seems to work again.

Thank you for that.
------------------------
Although I should have tested it on some fresh system, even installing the Squeak Firefox/(Mozilla) plugin seeems to be (almost) easily possible. There is

	/usr/share/squeak/npsqueakregister

I when I executed it and then the Firefox Squeak plugin is usable. So I guess that it is meant to be useful. If so, shouldn't there be also a link

	/usr/local/bin/npsqueakregister -> /usr/share/squeak/npsqueakregister

if user is supposed to run it him/herself or, shouldn't it be run automatically by respective INSTALL script?
(if we already have thing in place)?
What about the Debian relevant packages? Making them is not trivial (at least the squeak-vm) but since they already existed before so it should not be that tough to create their new versions. Does someone plan to do that? If I could look on the way how the older packages were done (their `debian' directory and perhaps other related things), I could try to update it to the new version. If these things worked correctly, it might later save time and cause less confusion.

Regards
--
Matej Kosik