Chris Muller afunkyobject at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 26 21:40:35 UTC 2006

I'm quite interested in the underscore topic but sometimes challenged to follow some of the discussions when the underscore character literally used in the discussion.

   print _ as _

 is actually not such a bad example because I was able to figure out what Marcus meant.  But there were some really bad ones in prior discussions that ended up being completely ambiguous.  Some might be reading in Squeak, for example, so you can't know what they're seeing, maybe:

   print <- as <-

 (note <- is a crude left arrow in this plain ascii email).

 When discussing underscore assignment, may we all make extra effort to be very clear; one suggestion would be to simply spell it out, "underscore" and "left-arrow"..

 Thanks..