Fun with Number readFrom: What should we do ?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Apr 26 22:40:39 UTC 2006

nicolas cellier wrote:
> I fully agree, but since it is a long living bug, present in other dialects,
> maybe someone have used it as a feature, so it's better asking.

I agree it's good style to ask. Though, I was literally *gasp*ing when I
read your message (along the lines of "that can't *possibly* be; what a
mad bug...")

> What about the FORTRANISH 1.e1 and .1e2 ? Anyone use it ?
> I like it because i had apps reading this kind of format, but maybe my opinion
> is biased... Another specific selector able to read +.1e+2 might be better...
> One point of view is to enforce Smalltalk syntax only in readFrom:
> On the other hand we have already the nan and infinity exceptions...

I'm slightly against it, just on the grounds that less "special" forms
to support is better in general. However, I could be convinced otherwise.

Cheers,
   - Andreas