Socket ping: doesn't work

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Thu Apr 27 12:01:04 UTC 2006

Hi!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?C=E9drick_B=E9ler?= <cbeler at enit.fr> wrote:
> I can't manage to make:
>
> Socket ping: '127.0.0.1' or any other local machine...

If you read the #ping: code you see that it mentions in the method
comment that this is not a "normal" ping but a "ping" using a running
echo server on port 7. Most likely the machines you are trying to "ping"
are not running the echo server, or port 7 is blocked in your/someone
elses firewall.

You could use pingPortsOn: but it has a bug, file in the attached
changeset and then you can do inspect-it on:

	Socket pingPortsOn: 'krampe.se'

If you are not firewalled that would give you an array with ftp and http
in it, indicating that those ports are open on my box. And no, I don't
have an echo server on port 7, so it is not included.

regards, Göran