Fun with Number readFrom: What should we do ?

ncellier@ifrance.com ncellier at ifrance.com
Thu Apr 27 14:06:12 UTC 2006

I agree, my prop was low level, yours is higher level (extensible)

 Nicolas

Diego Fernandez:
 > My proposition is:
 >
 > Number>>readFrom: aStringOrStream
 >     ^self readFrom: aStringOrStream ifFail: [^self error: 'cannot read a
 > number']
 >
 > If nil is what you want, you will have to write:
 >     value := Number readFrom: aStream ifFail: [nil].
 > A little longer than your proposition:
 >     value := Number readfrom: aStream.

 The mine is:
 Number>>readFrom: aStringOrStream
       ^NumberParser new parse: aStringOrStream

 NumberParser>>parse: aStringOrStream
        "on failure"
         NumberParsingException signal
         "or just ParseException"

 I think that #readFrom: must be an extension of Number.
 So if you want more control of the parsing you can configure an
 instance of NumberParser.
 (may be you can have a FortranNumberParser :)).