Sake = Rake for Smalltalk?

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Thu Apr 27 23:43:14 UTC 2006

Hi folks,

On 27 Apr 2006, at 21:14, Diego Fernandez wrote:

> Thanks for the info... a search for: "Smalltalk Shell Script" in
> google take me to this link:
> http://www.smalltalk.org/articles/article_20040103a.html

Interesting, hadn't seen that yet.

Something like "make for/in Smalltalk" is something that's also been
in the back of my mind for some time.  After all, make is really just
a dependency maintenance package, which is really nothing but a one-
way constraint solver.

And a constraint solver is in many ways not that much different from
other programming.  For example, one might imagine writing:

a ::= c +d.
a ::= c compileWith: d.

instead of:

a := c+d.
a := c compileWith: d.

and have the former mean "maintain the LHS as the RHS changes",
whereas the latter just means "assign it now".

So, in an architectural view of things, we just add the "::="
connector to our repertoire of architectural connectors and are
(mostly) done.

In fact, I've already built a (very primitive) constraint solver, but
it isn't integrated in this way yet.

Cheers,

Marcel