headless squeak for nslu2?

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Fri Apr 28 06:10:35 UTC 2006

Hi!

Brian Zhou <b88zhou at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all squeakers,
>
> I've ported quite a few languages to the nslu2 optware (see
> http://nslu2-linux.org for detail). The only major language not running on the
> "slug" is Smalltalk.
>
> Any idea where to start to get a headless squeak running on the slug?

Start with squeakvm.org - suck down source, compile a VM. The VM can be
built without X, or you can run it using "-headless" or similar options.
If you have a decent Linux I am guessing you are home free, perhaps
someone already have done it.

And btw, if you have VNC that works dandy too - so you can actually run
an image with the UI, but remotely. In fact, Squeak has a VNC included
even (as an addon from SqueakMap). We (web app devs) use VNC all the
time.

regards, Göran