SqF board report for April 06

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Apr 29 00:21:26 UTC 2006

It took us a little longer to assemble, discuss and produce than
anticipated but if we want a reasonably worldwide representation on
the board we have to accept some communication costs. However after
all that, we hereby proudly present our report for you perusal.

SqF Board Report April 06
---------------------------------

The elections are over and the new board has been formed and started
working.

As always, progress is not as fast as first imagined, but we think we
are on a good track to get the Foundation
working for the benefit of the community. For anyone who missed the
results the elected board is:-
Cees de Groot
Marcus Denker
Stephane Ducasse
Bert Freudenberg
Craig Latta
Yoshiki Ohshima
Tim Rowledge
as detailed on  http://tinyurl.com/gp4yz

Responsibilities
-------------------

After the elections, we distributed the responsibilities among the
Squeak Foundation board Members
Here is the current list:

    http://www.squeak.org/Community/Teams/

If you have questions about a particular topic, don't hesitate to
contact the responsible board member.

Setting up an Organization
----------------------------------

We agreed to ask ESUG to maintain our money for now. This is the
simplest
way to operate until we really sort out a legal body of our own. A
very interesting possibility we are exploring
is to work with the Software Freedom Conservancy http://
conservancy.softwarefreedom.org/
(Thanks to Ron Teitelbaum for this interesting contact!).

Squeak Licencing
----------------------
As everyone who's subscribed to the squeak-dev list knows, it's
impossible to not discuss
licensing on a list that's about squeak... so we inaugurated the list
with our own License
discussion (phew... now it can rest for some time ;-)). The only
thing we can say for now is that
there is new activity around licensing and we will report more as
soon as we can.

Misc
-----
- We've agreed to try to centralize the resources, that is, all
important services and servers will be
   migrated to the SqF hardware.
   (a suddenly disappearing updates server again showed how important
this is!)
-  we provided a simple 'about Squeak' project to go into the new
Croquet release
- Contacted Google wrt. to Google Summer of Code 06, we have been
rejected (Application was too late)
- Started to discuss with ESUG about doing our own (small) Summer of
Code event.
- and as most people will have noticed we are currently involved in
trying to work out a good way to provide newcomer support and education

Next Steps
-------------
The most important next steps are:

-> Set up a website for SqF
-> Form a formal organisation
-> Make sure several board members have the assorted keys to access
servers etc. in case of problems, illness, war, plague, acts of Dog,
etc.

Many thanks to Marcus for putting together the first version of this
report.

tim
Useful random insult:- Has a pulse, but that's about all.