ST2JS - Smalltalk to Javascript translator

Gerardo Richarte gera at corest.com
Wed Aug 2 18:06:26 UTC 2006

Hola Diego!

	this is genial!

> To use the network from JS in browsers, you have to hack over a HTTP
> requests to a web server. Plain sockets are just not available for JS
> code.

	That's one and the most standard way, you can also try using the
HTTPXMLRequest, a trusted ActiveX object which can be used from Internet
Explorer, Mozilla, etc. Works in windows and unix, and AFAIK Ajax heavily
uses it. I think this HTTPXMLRequest will be more and more standard, as
more web applications start using it. And XML is not a bad option...
	However, for security restrictions, most connections you'll be able
to open will be limited to the originating host.

> Firing processes from javascript (in browsers) is, AFAIK, not posible.
> What can be done is a type of multithreading for javascript processes
> (see: http://slipwave.info/#js.cps.Thread)

	You could open new windows or iframes or something. I think this
effectively work on different native processes/threads.

	This sounds like science fiction :-)
	gera