Tweak or Etoys 1.0 as upper layer of the next Full Image? (was Re: [V3dot9] Another try for pre-gamma: #7051)

Markus Gaelli gaelli at emergent.de
Fri Aug 4 08:16:50 UTC 2006

On Aug 4, 2006, at 9:33 AM, stéphane ducasse wrote:

>>> NBut honestly don't regard this is a "basic" image... it has lots
>>> and lots of stuff in it that is not needed, FFI is just one of
>>> these.
>>> We will not do a "full" image this time (people can just install
>>> the packages they want, and a 'full' image would have needed
>>> to be done and tested months ago).

I agree.

>>> So just consider it to be the new "full" image...

I don't.

>> So it's back to kitchen-sink. How disappointing. How very, very
>> disappointing.

So whereas I value a lot the work of Marcus and Co. doing a basic
image, I also do not agree calling this image a "full one".
On the other hand I think Marcus was provocative to find out who is
willing to produce a "full one" right now.

For doing so we need to agree, if it is Tweak or whatever, to be
integrated.
For that, I think we need to know, where squeakland is heading: Will
they use tweak for Etoys 2.0 or not?
In my opinion the goals of squeakland always defined the upper layer
of Squeak.

Or is it Squeakland waiting for squeak-dev, and squeak-dev waiting
for squeakland? Catch22...

My 2 cents,

Markus