FFI wide-character type?

Ron Teitelbaum Ron at USMedRec.com
Fri Aug 4 13:48:18 UTC 2006

John,

Thanks for looking some more.  I had tried asWideString and received back a
wideString class, but was confused by the bytes on the inspector.  Since the
bytes were the same as a regular string I figured it was doing something
wrong, like the other things I'd tried.

So now that I understand that asByteArray forms bytes differently then what
is in the instance inspector, I thought I'd try it.

What I get is 'MY' asWideString asByteArray = a ByteArray(0 0 0 77 0 0 0 89)

Trying that didn't work.

I received a message from Torsten (Thank you!) that said he had a conversion
to wide string for COM.  I tried that method to see what it returned.
COMWideString fromString: 'MY' = a ByteArray(77 0 89 0).  I tried sending in
the byteArray and BINGO! It worked.

So the question is, are there multiple ways to do conversion to wide string,
or is asWideString asByteArray doing it wrong?  Maybe there are ordering and
byte count multiplatform things to consider?  (I'm on winXP, if it wasn't
painfully obvious)

Ron Teitelbaum