Modularity agin (was: Re: [V3dot9] Another try for pre-gamma: #7051)

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Aug 7 13:18:35 UTC 2006

> For the abstractions and tools: Sure, we don't have the perfect
> solution for these issues. But how about dealing with the parts
> that are utterly trivial to deal with? Like, for example, why not
> immediately remove all the packages that have almost no further
> dependencies, like: FFI, Speech, Nebraska, Sound, OB?

We will try to remove what can be remove easily:
	FFI, Speech, Nebraska (sound I do not know),
	and declare that the mini image.

> Those (and others; there are definitely more in the image) would be
> steps into the right direction. And they really don't require many
> tools, and for the lacking abstractions (if any) new ones can and
> will be proposed. There are many practical things that can be done
> if the goal is modularity. Alas, the current goal does not appear
> to be modularity, or if it is, I can't see any tangible steps into
> that direction.

We had that in mind but we focused on gathering fixes and
improvements and slowly the modularisation.

> The classic "we have no tools" excuse ;-) Then how about finding a
> process which doesn't require the tools. How about making use of
> the community instead? We've got people out there, if we can get
> them involved we might be able to get significant amounts of
> feedback without the automatic server (which would be great, no
> question, but I don't think that's a prerequisite).

Sure but we should have a build process.

> Personally, having used Mantis extensively over the last Squeak
> versions I find the process, painful as it is at times, extremely
> useful. It is almost guaranteed that if you take the time to file a
> bug, it will be something that really matters (to you or your
> project). Which implies that people provide pretty good
> information, discussions etc. That in turn (at least to me) makes
> it a very different medium than, say, mailing lists. I don't read
> all my emails, but I *do* look at all my bug reports carefully.

I agree.
Even if mantis is reallllllllllly painful.

> Please give some detail. I'm curious in which way for example PI
> isn't good enough or in which way 3.9 maintenance is problematic.
> In particular it would be interesting to me if the problems
> couldn't be solved by some more robust requirements for packages,
> for example, no overrides etc.

At least not having overrides is really a first step.
I think that having atomic loading is another.

We should write a report on what should be improved.