Modularity agin

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Aug 7 20:36:54 UTC 2006

On 7 août 06, at 19:55, Andreas Raab wrote:

> stéphane ducasse wrote:
>>> For the abstractions and tools: Sure, we don't have the perfect
>>> solution for these issues. But how about dealing with the parts
>>> that are utterly trivial to deal with? Like, for example, why not
>>> immediately remove all the packages that have almost no further
>>> dependencies, like: FFI, Speech, Nebraska, Sound, OB?
>> We will try to remove what can be remove easily:
>>     FFI, Speech, Nebraska (sound I do not know),
>>     and declare that the mini image.
>
> That's not what I mean. I don't want to "declare" a mini image -
> that's a pointless exercise if we start with the definition that a
> mini image contains everything that we can't remove easily. The
> whole point of making headway towards modularity is that step by
> step we decrease dependencies. As such, removing the above is
> useful if and only if it is seen as a stepping stone for the next
> version (which will hopefully remove even more) not as an end-goal.

sure do not tell that to me.
We will not call it mini but basic, I slip on my keyboard.
And I know what you mean this is also why I pushed alex to help 3.3a
too and invited henrik and more....

Still for 3.9 I did not have the time/energy to be active in
shrinking the system and I hope to do that in 3.10.
At least this is my goal.

Stef