Puzzle: Adding domain-based security to Squeak.

danil osipchuk danil at mtsnet.ru
Tue Aug 8 16:37:59 UTC 2006

Howard Stearns wrote:
> Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>> On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 16:53:46 +0200, Howard Stearns wrote:
>>
>>> Imagine that a magic fairy comes and creates a system that works
>>> exactly as you prescribe.
>>>      Now, how will you or your users guess that 64MB RAM / 100MB
>>> disk / 100MB traffic/day is appropriate for one application, while
>>> others use different figures?
>>
>> Would you say that the above is any different from a single computer
>> system with exactly the capacity limits you gave? If so, mind to
>> explain?
>
> I agree that they're the same. And I would never order a computer
> saying that it must not have more than 64MB, 100MB disk, nor allow
> more than 100MB traffic/day. Nor would I attempt to implement "safety"
> that way on a single or partitioned computer.

And if you were a provider of some *limited, shared* (which is the case
I believe) resource, you would like to be sure that customers will not
draw resources from each other, and you will be able to comply to your
Service Level Agreement with them and you would like to gain additional
profit from differentiating of services.  Is not this a common business
practice?

regards,
    Danil