question about Latin1Environment>>fileNameConverterClass and 3.9

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun Aug 13 20:56:43 UTC 2006

I noticed that we have
Latin1Environment>>fileNameConverterClass
	^Latin1TextConverter

However the mac vm usually by default runs in macroman file name
logic for historical reasons, although some
products switch to UTF-8.

However when we get directory entires, they are mangled by
convertFromSystemName which applies
a Latin1TextConverter to a macroman file name, or perhaps to a UTF-8
file name.

That results in confused results in the file browser, or perhaps
things like StandardFileStream>>modificationTime failing
because the filename in macroman or utf8 format can't be found in the
directory entries for the swizzled incorrect conversion.

I'll note you can't run in Latin1 path name mode in the mac VM
because there are many many characters you can enter in UTF8
that will not convert to Latin1 via os-x system calls.

So should this be a Latin1TextConverter on windows, and UTf8 or
MacRoman elsewhere?
Anyone have a proposed solution?

===