[ANN] FreeType+Subpixel anti-aliasing Update

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Mon Aug 14 07:15:09 UTC 2006

Andrew Tween wrote:
> An updated vm+plugins+image containing my latest work in getting the FreeType
> font support from the Sophie project into 3.9 can be obtained from here...

Nice!!!
What changes did you make to the plugin? We should try to make sure to
stay in sync to avoid duplicate or conflicting changes.

> Fonts can be stored in the image as ByteArrays, and used by the FreeType plugin,
> without requiring the font file to exist, or be re-created, on disk.

Sweet! Exactly what we urgently need for Sophie so we can embed fonts
without copyright issues.

> Font files must be placed in the ./fonts folder before installing - this will be
> improved later.

At least in the Sophie font manager we can do this already. But then we
keep the fonts separate from the Squeak font system.

> -------
> TODO:
>
> Kerning.

In the latest Sophie stuff we added kerning and tracking access.

> Better font substitution for missing font files (i.e. use a sans serif strike
> font in place of a missing sans serif ttf font).

That is a tricky business. Ask VW users how that can fail horribly, even
with best intentions.

Great work!

Michael