Info on Smalltalk DSLs or Metaprogramming...

Rich Warren rwmlist at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 09:22:50 UTC 2006

Hi,

I've seen several online articles about writing Domain Specific
Languages in Ruby. All the articles mention that the idea of DSLs
comes largely from Lisp and Smalltalk. I've found descriptions on
writing DSLs in Lisp--but I can't seem to find any good references
for Smalltalk.

Does anyone have any helpful pointers? If I'm going to follow the
Ruby model, then I need to be able to execute arbitrary strings as
code (which Compiler evaluate: and related functions seems to
handle). I also need to be able to add new methods to classes/
instances at runtime--which I haven't found.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Rich-