UTF-8 in Squeak (Linux, X11)

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Tue Aug 15 16:33:00 UTC 2006

  Matej,

> I have seen that others were able to enter UTF-8 characters text in
> Squeak. Does this work on Linux? I am able to enter UTF-8 characters
> now, but they do not appear correctly. Is there something special what
> must be done (in the out-of-the-box image)? Some special command line
> parameters? Should I load some special packages? Should I load some
> special fonts? (I have tried FreeMono, it did not help). I am using
> Squeak image 3.8 and squeak VM 3.9.7 and UTF-8 in X11 where I need to
> deal with non-English characters.

  The basic idea is to configure the VM in a way that pass the input
characters with no information lost (but possibly with recoding), and
the image re-interprets and makes up characters with the right
codepoint.

  A suggested way is to configure the VM so that it doesn't do any
conversion, then hooking up a UTF-8 textconverter in a way similar to
WinShiftJISInputInterpreter does.

  Hope this helps...

-- Yoshiki